Most Important Purchases
- Programming, from a loyalty MVP to a program that alleviates food insecurity, has been critical to providing a positive customer experience.
- The company has invested in filling its site with budget-friendly meal recipes — which includes the option for customer reviews with stars
- Also helped private brand products
It’s clear that high grocery prices aren’t going away anytime soon, and Food Lion wants to help its customers do something about it — in more ways than one.
The grocery store in Salisbury, North Carolina, part of Ahold Delhaize USA, said it is using a multi-pronged strategy to “reduce the pressure that its neighbors may be feeling” in these inflationary times. Initiatives range from daily savings and personalized offers to portfolio-friendly brands and meal options.
“Our mission has always been to provide customers with fresh, affordable groceries, and that sentiment still holds true,” said Jane Faller, Vice President of Category Management at Food Lion. “We work hard to ensure that every cent counts for our customers by providing them with easy solutions to save on groceries and get the most out of their food once they get home.”
While offering savings is nothing new for Food Lion, whose 1,100-plus store space spans 10 states in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast, its value formula carries added significance these days. The home food CPI for August rose 13.5% year over year, outpacing the 13.1% rise in July and posting the biggest gain in 12 months since the period through March 1979.
The components of Food Lion’s value proposition include:
- daily savings: Food Lion customers can check out weekly specials on its website and sign up to receive weekly emails. Customers get exclusive low prices on essentials, weekly sales and savings events from Buy 2, Get 1 deals to Dollar Days and budget friendly private brand alternatives.
- MVP Loyalty Program: The grocer encourages shoppers to sign up for the MVP loyalty program, enabling them to earn rewards, access digital coupons, and get exclusive prices. Customers who choose to shop online earn monthly Shop and earn rewards on products they already buy, receive these digital coupons monthly and track their savings with My Wallet
- Store Brands: Food Lion has added more private brand products in categories across the store. Store brands are always less expensive than national brands, but Food Lion goes one step further with a ‘Double Your Money Back Guarantee’ on their products
- Affordable recipes: “After buying groceries, we make sure shoppers know how to get the most out of them,” Faller said. The company offers affordable meal recipes, like those under $10. The budget-friendly meals recently posted on Food Lion’s website — and ranked by site visitors — include Cheesy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta, Easy Chicken Tacos, Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew, Corn Dog Cups, and Mini Southern Tomato Pies
Customer feedback also plays a key role in Food Lion’s efforts to help busy families find easy ways to save, whether that involves weekly sales, special savings events or other initiatives, according to Fuller.
“Our customers have always been price conscious, and that remains especially true today,” he said. “We place great emphasis on listening to our customers and understanding what is important to them. Food Lion has a 60-year legacy of providing fresh, high-quality produce at low prices, and we know our neighbors are counting on us more than ever to continue to deliver.”
Another important component of the supermarket chain’s efforts to put food on the table is the Food Lion Feeds programme.
In 2014, she launched Food Lion Feeds, an initiative to “feed our neighbors and help alleviate food insecurity in the communities we serve,” Faller said. He added that over the course of nearly eight years, Food Lion Feeds has donated nearly 970 million meals to local food banks and nutrition agencies with the help of their customers and partners, including Feeding America, Operation Homefront, No Kid Hungry and American Red Cross. .
The Ahold Delhaize sign is also in the middle of the Food Lion Feeds program. The annual Apple Bag campaign, in partnership with its customers, runs through October 4. When customers purchase a specially marked bag of apples or make a cash donation in-store or online, Food Lion donates five meals to local food banks in Feeding America. This year they are on track to donate at least 1 million meals, Faller said.
#Food #Lion #making #cent #count #customers